Translate

Friday, December 4, 2015

Thoughts as We Enter The Season of the Christ Mass 2015


THERESA OF CALCUTTA - - has been my hero from my early days as a nurse. I had her picture on my clipboard when I was working in oncology. I would put her photo and quotes up in secret and not so secret places all through the oncology unit where I worked at St. John's Regional Medical Center in Oxnard (In linen closets, in the med drawers, in the locker room, in the nurse’s station).  I do not remember all the quotes I put up around the hospital unit, but I do remember one I kept on my clipboard. This quote remains for me to this day as guide for my daily life:
************************************
“I'm a little pencil in the hand of a writing God, who is sending a love letter to the world.”
― Mother Teresa
************************************

Teresa of Calcutta epitomized the words of TERESA OF AVILA (another hero who through her work - "The Interior Castle" has guided my life) - - - - -
Both Teresa’s are LIFE MENTORS for me.  They are for me exemplars in service to God through our service to humankind and all life coupled with deep prayer and meditation. 
When I worked on that oncology unit at St. John’s in every bed there was my Sister, my Mother, by Brother, my Uncle – all were relatives.  There was no person I cared for who was not a relative.  Now even in the smallest thing – buying food at the market, driving my car, taking a walk – everyone I encounter is a relative… and here is the good news:  so many I meet also recognize we are ALL RELATED- we are all one family.  With heart overflowing i see, the numbers who recognize our oneness growing.
As we enter this Holy Season there is so much division and suffering in the world. Battle lines have been drawn dividing those who claim Christianity, Judaism and Islam (and other ways).  In the name of The Beloved, who is LOVE we spew words and actions which are the anti-thesis of the affiliation we claim.  We point fingers at the other and say “He started it.”  We are sometimes school children without the maturity to know the ultimate creation of healing and balance comes not in controlling the ‘Other’ but in controlling the Self. 
It is time for people of good heart and good intention to stand up and be counted.  As we stand, others will find the inner strength and fortitude to stand with us.
With heart overflowing with love and gratitude for those who have gone before and hold aloft the light to guide our way – Pranams – Pranams – Pranams -


******************************************
“Christ has no body now on earth but yours,
no hands but yours, no feet but yours,
Yours are the eyes through which to look out
Christ's compassion to the world
Yours are the feet with which he is to go about doing good;
Yours are the hands with which he is to bless men now.”
TERESA OF AVILA

******************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment